January merged dully into February and February slipped past slyly. It was definitely a busier month but with the same feeling of fighting the weather to get up the necessary oomph to get out and do things. I don't think I did too badly though. On the craft front at least it's been a productive month, with several projects making decent chunks of progress or being completed. There's also been a shift culinarily - not doing big shops has meant that I've instigated or brought together many more dinners, including ones that are less boy-style meat-veg-carb, and more adventurous concoctions and bits and pieces.
Writing this post so soon after finishing off the last (very late one) has made it clear to me that I don't have much of a sense of how February has been. I could perhaps do with more slow thinking time. I think I've also been taking fewer phone photos. In some ways that's good - I've been less distracted by it - but also there are things I've already semi-forgotten or misplaced in my mental timeline. When did I have brunch with A&C? Was it late January or early February? I didn't take any photos or send the postcards I had meant to send that day. The physical act of writing the date might have cemented the mental connection.
I've generally not written to people as much as I should. I've managed to keep up with birthdays, I think, but I have at least one long letter to reply to. I no longer have several hours of bus time in which to think of these things. I'm getting through my RSS feeds much slower, and I'm not talking to my bus-riding colleagues so much (though one is away anyway). The flipside of all that is the increased time for craft and cooking and being at home with boy. I'm basically less social and thoughtful but creating more.
With some effort (in the direction of not just slumping on the sofa with my knitting) I'm sure I can even this back out. Knitting & cooking are the kinds of thing that I will always find time for - I have to eat anyway and knitting is very easy to pick up & put down - so it's the thinking more that needs some work. I think that working out how much free time I have when deciding what to do with it will lead to more variety and the more complex things getting done - less just starting knitting by instinct. That said, both Death In Paradise and The Great British Sewing Bee are on at the moment...
- Cycle to Bath
Visit K at RHUL Go to a sewing meet
- Make 5 items of clothing - made a top from Simplicity 9175 (1970)
Go to Cornwall and/or somewhere warm
- Learn some Perl/Ruby/C++/SQL - Had a presentation about Perl & reviewed some C++
- Keep a list of things to cook and make 2 new ones per month - Chocolate & blueberry scones, beef rendang, cornbread, pea & ham soup, chocolate tarts, cucumber and lime G&T
- Read twelve or more books
- Cut down my photo-uploading backlog - On K1000 roll 6 now
- Scrapbook - Nope.
- Visit 5 new towns or cities
- Keep job/get good/become independent - Changed the format of part of a big meeting & got more people talking which is a win :) Got very good annual feedback
- Go to a pop-up restaurant or supper club
- Finish things - Sewed up last pair of Learn To Knit Love To Knit wristwarmers. Made top from Simplicity 9175.
- Mend/alter - added *more* things to my mending pile!
- See cousins
- Go to a gig/film/... every month -Saw Cate Le Bon at The Lantern. Very good and very loud!
- Walk lots - 9.5 mile walk round the downs, down through Clifton, round the harbour, to Sunday lunch at The Bank, then all the way home
- Visit new cafés/things -Went to Obento with friends, experienced the extended upstairs at Boston Tea Party on Park St
- Do something creative every week - So much knitting! And a bit of sewing too.
- Make an effort to go to things - Coffee with friends, colleague's birthday party, two weekend lunches, a pub visit, impromptu dinner with old old flatmate.
- Learn to knit properly - Shapely Boyfriend cardigan is coming along nicely
- Listen to the radio regularly - Still lots of 6music, plus Radio 2 during lifts to work
- Use stashes - Bought wool for shapely boyfriend and red thread for curtains. Used stash fabric for top & made a couple of plans
- Find a dentist & get teeth fixed