Well, I thought, I can do cross-stitch and Valentines' Day is coming up, why not?
Much tinkering in Paint and many hours of stitching later I had this:
|Sorry for the photo quality, I nabbed this from Facebook.|
First I nabbed the aida square template from Subversive Cross Stitch (although it's basically a grid), and had a look at some images of samplers to see how letters are formed. Then I laid out the letters I wanted and experimented with different borders.
|Non-destructive iterative design process. Geeky.|
I made sure the top and bottom of the wave were the same, this made it simpler to sew as I could just mirror the pattern of stitches rather than having to refer to my diagram constantly.
I used Google images and a bit of brain power to work out how to make those. They're missing the gold stripe but that was a bit complicated to add, plus I had no gold thread and it looked better without. I'm told it doesn't really matter anyway.
The finished thing was well received, and has found a home above the boy's desk, up above the grand plan and the thesis cat.
Here it is in place, in said lab:
|I'm quite proud of it.|