Thursday 22 November 2012

Kilve Beach

As I mentioned in my Sunday post, my sister and I took a mid-afternoon trip to the beach on Saturday. I took plenty of photos and they all turned out pretty nicely so I thought I'd share a few more. My little camera wasn't charged so I sported a rather hipster combination of film SLR and phone camera, I've spared you the Instagram filters though ;)
Kilve beach is a Site of Special Scientific Interest because of its exciting rock formations - there are huge pavements of rock running across at angles. The cliffs have clearly visible layers of different types, some of which are full of fossils (mostly ammonites) - a geologist's dream! We visited Kilve a lot when I was younger as it's the nearest beach to home which isn't made of mud or home to a nuclear power station. Kilve has amazing rockpools - all those layers catch the receding tide really well. I have many happy memories of hunting for crabs, and somewhat less happy ones of falling in

Steep Holm island on the right-ish, silhouettes of Welsh hills to the left
More rocklakes than rock pools, some of them

An ammonite spotted by my sister, plus a couple of barnacles and some bladderwrack

Big clouds over some industrial-looking chimneys in South Wales

Big clouds over Minehead and Exmoor too

Sunset! At about 4pm. It was much orangier in real life.


The low orangey light lit up the cliffs beautifully



Hopefully it won't be too long before I visit again, there's nothing like sea air for blowing away the cobwebs! (even if that "sea" is the rather brown Bristol channel)

1 comment:

  1. This beach looks so amazing.  I bet you could spend hours there looking in all of the pools and exploring.  :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay :)