Tuesday 28 September 2010

Stop-motion Kindle

Isn't this advert cute? It's for the Amazon kindle.



I'm not sure what I think of the Kindle yet; I think it's good for people to have easy access to so many books, articles, journals & magazines, but
a) the physical feel of a book is irreplacable, would I want to read from a kindle?
b) how many books does one have to read on the Kindle for it to pay for itself?
c) people who buy them are likely to be those who read lots anyway, and would buy the books they download. What it needs is some sort of feature like Flickr's Explore or LastFM's Recommendations to introduce users to new things (although of course LastFM gives me more music like what I already listen to...). It may already have this?
d) how soon before copyright of books becomes an issue like that of music?
e) will it live as an idea? Why not have an app for the ipad/ipod/iphone or even read them on your laptop?
Yes a kindle is smaller than a laptop, but it's still nowhere near as convenient as a foldable, batterable, lovable paperback. You spill your tea on it and at best you've got a smeary screen, at worst an electricity-meets-water write-off. With a book it'll cost you at most the cost of another copy, substantially cheaper than a whole new device. And a smeary screen will never be as endearing as a brown splodge in a well-loved volume.

I'm not pretending to be a well-informed reviewer. These are just a few thoughts I've had after seeing the advert. I should probably research it a bit more as I'm sure there are some clever people behind the scenes who've thought it all through. We shall see!
Still a nice advert :)

1 comment:

Yay :)